Olympics Opening Ceremony Playlist In Full
Posted by Steve on Sat 28 Jul 2012 at 10:13
Danny Boyle stuns 27 million British TV viewers with a breathtaking opening ceremony with a production budget of £27m, broadcast on the 27th of July.
From a green and pleasant land to the industrial revolution, the opening ceremony at the Olympic Village in Stratford started out as a 'horrible history' of Great Britain.
Danny Boyle's three and a half hour epic production, which was the BBC's most watched broadcast of the modern era, went on to feature a dance routine from staff and patients of the NHS and a journey through British music which included a live performance by East-London rapper Dizzee Rascal.
British comedy legend Rowan Atkinson made an appearance in a 'Chariots Of Fire' spoof, reprising his role as the world famous Mr. Bean and Queen Lizzy embarked on her first acting role to team up with Daniel Craig as James Bond.
Highlights included huge chimney stacks rising from the ground, the Olympic rings being forged from molten metal by industrial works, Sir Tim Berners-Lee the inventor of the internet and the nation's favourite, David Beckham. Beckham brought the torch along the Thames by speed boat and passed it on to Sir Steve Redgrave who ran it in to the stadium.
After the athletes of the 204 participating nations paraded in to the stadium, each nation carrying a mysterious copper petal, it was time for The Queen, who had previously "parachuted" in to the stadium, to officially open the London 2012 Olympic Games... once she's finished picking her nails.
The purpose of the copper petals became clear as seven young British athletes each set one of the petals alit, once lit the 204 petals rose and came together to form the breathtaking Olympic cauldron, designed by London designer Thomas Heatherwick.
At a reported cost of £27 million to produce, it's no wonder that #OlympicCeremony was the top Twitter trend worldwide for the whole evening.
But the thing that really summed up British culture was the use of songs from our nation's rich musical history. From popular hymnes, the hits of the 60, some 80s classic and tunes current artists like Emeli Sande and Rizzle Kicks, there was a song for every Brit to get behind.
Check out the full list of songs used in the spectacular opening ceremony, including a live performance by Beatle, Paul McCartney...
1. Eton Boating Song - Drummond, The Central Band of The Royal British Legion, Captain David Cole
2. Land of Hope and Glory - Corps of Royal Engineers Band
3. Going Underground - The Jam
4. Map Of The Problematique - Muse
5. God Save the Queen - Sex Pistols
6. London Calling - The Clash
7. Theme From Eastenders
8. Jerusalem - Sir Hubert Parry, Terry Yount, Chris Dolske
9. Nimrod - Elgar
10. Arrival Of The Queen Of Sheba - George Frederic Handel
11. The Dambusters March - Eric Coates, Royal Artillery Band
12. Music For The Royal Fireworks, HWV 351 - Overture - Georg Friedrich Haendel
13. The James Bond Theme - Monty Norman Orchestra
14. Tubular Bells Part One - Mike Oldfield
15. In Dulce Jubilo (For Maureen) - Mike Oldfield
16. Chariots Of Fire - Vangelis
17. Barwick Green (The Archers Theme) - Sidney Torch
18. Black And White Rag - Winfred Atwell
19. Push The Button - Sugababes
20. Enola Gay - OMD
21. The Stripper - David Rose
22. Food, Glorious Food - Lionel Bart's Oliver
23. When I Was A Youngster - Rizzle Kicks
24. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
25. City Lights - William Pitt
26. My Generation - The Who
27. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
28. My Boy Lollipop - Millie Small
29. All Day And All Of The Night - The Kinks
30. Tiger Feet - Mud
31. A Message To You Rudy - The Specials
32. Starman - David Bowie
33. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
34. Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols
35. The Reflex - Duran Duran
36. Blue Monday - New Order
37. Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
38. Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) - Soul II Soul, Caron Wheeler
39. Step On - Happy Mondays
40. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) - Eurythmics
41. Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve
42. Firestarter - Prodigy
43. Born Slippy (Nuxx) - Underworld
44. I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - John W. Kellette, Joan Morris, William Bolcom
45. Song 2 - Blur
46. Nachna Onda Nei - Tigerstyle
47. I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor - Arctic Monkeys
48. Come Together' - The Beatles (Performed by Arctic Monkeys)
49. Valerie featuring Amy Winehouse - Mark Ronson
50. Creep - Radiohead
51. Uprising - Muse
52. Pass Out - Tinie Tempah
53. Paper Planes - M.I.A.
54. Viva La Vida - Coldplay
55. Galvanize - The Chemical Brothers
56. Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
57. I Predict a Riot - Kaiser Chiefs
58. Shake A Leg - Roll Deep
59. Rolling In The Deep - Adele
60. The Hindu Times - Oasis
61. Wonderwall - Oasis
62. Heaven - Emeli Sandé
63. Abide With Me - William Henry Monk, Henry Francis Lyte, Hayley Westenra, Nick Ingram
64. Heroes - David Bowie
65. Theme From Coronation Street
66. Doctor Who (feat. Ron Grainer) - Mark Ayres, Ron Grainer
67. Liberty Bell March - John Philip Sousa
68. Absolute Beginners - David Bowie
69. The End - The Beatles (Performed by Paul McCartney)
70. Hey Jude - The Beatles (Performed by Paul McCartney)
- Mercury Prize-winning British band Elbow have written the theme song which will be used across all of the BBC's London 2012 Olympics coverage.
James Bond escorts The Queen to the London 2012 Olympic Games
- The London 2012 Olympic Games opening ceremony has been voted Best Event Of The Year in the Playing Out awards.
- The London 2012 bronze medalist looks set to feature in an Olympics themed week during the live shows.
- The diver celebrates his bronze medal from the games with an Olympic rings tattoo on his arm.